Need to brush up on your pests to answer client garden questions?
Learn about newly emerging or persistent plant diseases and insect problems in the home landscape with the NEW University of Illinois Extension Online IPM modules. These modules are designed for Extension Master Gardeners but can be used by home gardeners and green industry professionals.
Eight Self-paced Online IPM Modules
Eight online IPM modules are currently available, covering landscape pest and problems such as:
- Brown Marmorated Stink Bug
- Thousand Canker Disease
- Spruce Problems
- Downy Mildew on Impatiens, and more.
- Bacterial Leaf Scorch
- Sudden Oak Death
- Emerald Ash Borer
- Bur Oak Blight
Each module is self-paced and contains information and pictures about the pest or pathogen, host plants, symptoms, diagnosis, management and much more. Here we answer a few common questions you may have:
- Can I earn continuing ed (CE) credits for each module? Each module provides about 1/2 hour of continuing education for Illinois Master Gardeners.
- Will the CE credit apply in my state? Check with your local coordinator to be sure these modules fulfill the educational requirements in your county and state. (As mentioned, the modules are also a great resource to answer client questions in the office.)
- How will I get a certificate of completion? After completion of the module content, a short quiz should be completed. Participants must receive a perfect score on the quiz before completing a brief evaluation and then printing a certificate of completion.
- Is there a charge? The course is free of charge, but participants must register and create a login and password.
The modules were written by University of Illinois plant pathologists and entomologists and more modules are currently under construction. Evaluations show that Master Gardeners value this new easy tool for completing educational hours while staying abreast of current landscape pests and pathogens.
Want to see what a module looks like? View the brown marmorated stink bug example below or directly access these Online IPM modules at http://mg.cropsci.illinois.edu/index.php
– Monica David, University of Illinois Extension Master Gardener Coordinator