eLearn Urban Forestry is a new online course now available for Extension Master Gardeners and others interested in learning more about urban forestry.
As most of us know, healthy urban forests require a strong investment, and not just from the individuals and communities who benefit directly from these forests, but also from volunteers and professionals providing the expertise and care to support them. As an Extension Master Gardener volunteer, you might find yourself interested in knowing more about what it takes to select, plant, and maintain trees in urban areas to ensure their maximum benefit.
Complete eLearn Urban Forestry Course to Earn Credits/Certificate
The eLearn Urban Forestry Course is available for volunteer credit/certification, but individual modules can also be viewed at anytime, in any order, as a training resource.
Check with your local Master Gardener coordinator to see if you can earn volunteer credit and/or apply your certificate of completion to your local program training requirements. (Note: If you found this blog posts and are looking for professional credits to apply to your work, you can access the site for credit from the International Society of Arboriculture and Society of American Foresters, by visiting cfegroup.org. You can also review modules for free by visiting elearn.sref.info.)
Access the training for Extension Master Gardeners by visiting campus.extension.org (see how to enroll below). This eLearn Urban Forestry course is made up of 10 modules, each module being about 1 hour each. The modules are interactive and self-paced and the whole program can take around 10-15 hours to complete.
- Module 1: Costs and Benefits of the Urban Forest
- Module 2: Tree Growth and Development
- Module 3: Urban Soils
- Module 4: Site, Tree Selection, and Planting
- Module 5: Arboriculture
- Module 6: Assessing and Managing Tree Risk
- Module 7: Tree Disorder, Diagnosis, and Management
- Module 8: Trees and Construction
- Module 9: Public Policy and Urban Forestry
- Module 10: Urban Forest Management
How To Enroll in eLearn Urban Forestry for Extension Master Gardeners
1)Visit the eXtension website, http://campus.extension.org
2) Set up an eXtension Campus (Moodle) account:
- “Create an account” link (top, left side of the page) via the secure connection.
- Once you have that account created, you will receive an e-mail with a confirmation and a password. Follow the instructions in the email to complete your account set-up.
- Remember your login and password so you can access this or other future courses.
3)Login to the course
- After you create an account, log into eXtension Campus (Moodle) ( http://campus.extension.org/ ) . Find the log in entry at the top, left side of page, where you first created the account.
- Scroll through the available course categories and select Master Gardener (under Yard and Garden).
- Select the course: eLearn Urban Forestry for Master Gardeners (Teachers: Raina Sheridan)
4) View the course and get started
For more information, see: http://www.extension.org/pages/67932/elearn-urban-forestry:-online-training-in-urban-forestry