The Extension Master Gardener National Committee (EMGNC) provides a national focus and contact point for the nationwide Extension Master Gardener (EMG) program and the various state efforts in extension consumer horticulture.
The EMGNC facilitates inclusion of county and state gardening information in eXtension; provides a channel for contacting, funding, and training EMGs to be front line detectors and information providers on national, critical issues related to home yards and landscapes; facilitates national collaboration to avoid redundancy in development of educational materials, and expedites collaboration with federal agencies, funders and professional organizations for input and funding for national issues and priorities.
The EMGNC is comprised of EMG state coordinators elected to represent five geographical Cooperative Extension regions (Northeast, North Central, Northwest, Southwest, South Central and Southeast) and the directors of nationwide projects. Northeast, Southwest and Southeast regions are elected in even years; North Central, Northwest and South Central are elected in odd years. Each elected representative can serve up to two consecutive two year terms.
The Extension Master Gardener National Committee (EMGNC) will:
- Facilitate national cooperation among states for the sharing of program management strategies for EMG volunteers.
- Facilitate national communications and collaborations to avoid redundancy in development of electronic materials and training.
- Promote national communication and distribution of research-based horticultural information between Extension Master Gardeners and the public via tools provided by eXtension such as the EMG national blog, Ask an Expert and other social media outlets.
- Facilitate regional or national web-based courses to enhance EMG volunteer continued education and retention.
- Promote sharing of EMG state project implementation and successes through vehicles such as the International Search for Excellence awards.
- Provide a network to mobilize EMGs as front line information providers on critical or emergency national horticultural issues.
- Enhance national recognition and support for the Extension Master Gardener program by utilizing a national logo and encouraging communications through a national website.
- Collaborate with eXtension and will encourage applications for eXtension grants.
- Coordinate the annual national conference for Consumer Horticulture Specialists and Extension Master Gardener State Coordinators.
We foster a national support network for EMG coordinators that cultivates excellence in Extension programming and volunteer engagement.
Growing Extension professionals who inspire EMG volunteers to change their community.
- Local effectiveness
- Unbiased research-based
- Commitment to support coordinators
- Lifelong learning
Growing people, plants and partnerships.